Originally built as a public toilet by the city’s master builder Genzmer, the building was given to the charity “Freunde & Förderer der Nerobergbahn” [Friends & Supporters of the Nerobergbahn] by the City of Wiesbaden in 1999. Following full internal and external renovation over a period of two years, it was officially opened as a small but wonderful museum in August 2000. The exhibits were donated or loaned by Nerobergbahn employees and Wiesbaden municipal utilities.
- They provide insight into the braking system and how the railway works, and also include a scale model of a carriage and two old ticket machines.
- Glass cases hold old work instructions, tickets, postcards and tools.With new exhibits added all the time, it is always worth a visit. Staff will be happy to answer any questions. Just ask at the Nerobergbahn valley station or at 0611 - 450 22 550
History in figures
|1886||Permit application filed by businessman Carl Rudolf from Baden-Baden for a water-powered funicular railway to the popular tourist site Neroberg.|
|1887||Contract for the construction of the Nerobergbahn signed by Rudolf and the City of Wiesbaden.|
|1888||The railway is built using the Riggenbach system (gear rack in the centre of the tracks) with a passing loop (three tracks; four tracks at the passing loop in the middle of the route) that uses the Abt system. The two carriages are built by Maschinenfabrik Esslingen.|
|1888||Opening of the Nerobergbahn on 25 September 1888.
|1890||Sale of the funicular railway to Bachsteinische Consortium.|
|1895||Transfer to Süddeutsche Eisenbahngesellschaft (SEG).|
|1923||End of operations due to economic reasons.|
|1925||Takeover of the Nerobergbahn by the City of Wiesbaden.|
|1942||Integration of the funicular railway into Wiesbaden municipal utilities.|
|1944||Shutdown due to war damage.|
|1946||Reopening and seizure by the US military authorities.|
|1948||The railway is reopened to the public.|
|1963||Maschinenfabrik Esslingen is commissioned with restoring the carriage tanks. The structure is also overhauled by Auwärter. The two carriages of the Nerobergbahn leave Wiesbaden in November 1962 for a general overhaul, returning to their home in March 1963 — the year of the railway’s 75th anniversary.|
|1972||General overhaul of the tracks.|
|1974||The carriages are given a new coat of paint.|
|1988||The Nerobergbahn celebrates its 100th anniversary and is recognised as a protected technical monument by the State of Hesse.|
|1991||General overhaul of the viaduct.|
|1993||Renewal of the water pump.|
|1995||A new cable is laid, replacing the locked coil cable with a stranded cable.|
|1998||110 years of the Nerobergbahn; the two stations and both carriages are given a new coat of paint.|
|2000||Opening of the railway museum at the valley station.|
|2005||The route is completely restored, with sleepers and tracks renewed.|
|2010||The two carriages are restored with replicas of the original interiors and painted in the original blue and daffodil yellow on the outside.|
|2013||125 years of the Nerobergbahn is celebrated with a programme of anniversary events. Record number of passengers for the year: 306,217.
|2016||General renovation of both carriages.|
|2018||Big festival for the railway’s 130th anniversary: Families and children celebrate the occasion on the Neroberg.|